Wednesday 5 January 2011

Long Live the Pint

I love beer.

I miss Old Chicago Beer Tours; drinking beer after beer with my best friend surrounded by other beer lovers.

I remember first moving to the UK and suddenly feeling self concious about drinking beer in pubs - all the other girls were drinking wine and beer seemed like such a "boy" drink.   I quickly got over this silliness and appreciate at every opportunity that drinking a pint in a pub is (to me) such a wonderful "British" thing... which is why today's news that you can now buy beer and cider in a size other than a pint or half pint is some how distressing.

You see, before today there were very strict rules which said a publican (a pub owner) could only sell beer and cider in a pint or a half pint (although apparently a third of a pint was also ok, but very rare, so I'm ignoring it).  The rules were put in place to protect pub-goers to ensure they were served the same amount of beverage in every pub they visited, allowing them to accurately compare prices.  Sounds good, right?  Well, today the UK government has decided to toss tradition aside and and bring in the "schooner", which is 2/3 of a pint and a typically Australian measurement.  Why do our pubs need a schooner!?  Where is the respect for tradition?

Government will tell you they are waging war against binge drinking, but I say they need to keep their turned up noses out of my pub.  Don't they have more important things they should be sorting out, anyway?

Long Live the Pint!

4 comments:

  1. I didn't hear about this! This is big news. And I'm with you - I don't like it. Britain doesn't need schooners! Long live the pint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like pints too and I hate that women who drink beer seem to only do it from a half pint glass. It's so ridiculous and a total waste of money. If you're going to drink 6 - 1/2 pints, why not just drink 3 pints!? It's cheaper! Fortunately Irish women drink full pints. :) I hadn't heard about that new drink sizing in the UK. How dumb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beer too! I always go for the full pint :) I hadn't heard about this new rule - thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss it too....alot :) Oh and who in their right mind wants anything less than a pint? Bigger yes, smaller no freaking way!

    ReplyDelete